Sunday, January 17, 2010

History in the Making

Often I wonder if anything that happens at school, besides recess, has an impact on my kids. Specifically The Princess. She is so unaffected sometimes. Here's our recent conversation about why she doesn't have school today.

P: You know we don't have school on Monday, Mom?

Me: Yes, I know.

P: That's because we're celebrating Doctor King.

Me: Really? Who's Dr. King?

P: Well he was borned a long time ago and he couldn't use the same potty as me because his skin was dark.

{Insert smart ass remark from The Athlete: 'He couldn't use the same potty as you because you're a girl.'}

She pinched him for interrupting her. Moving on now . . .

Me: So we're celebrating him because his skin was dark?

P: No Mom.

Me: What are we celebrating?

P: He had a dream.

P: Then he was at a hotel and got killed.

Well, I guess it's a start. 

20 comments:

Barefoot Chic said...

Awe it's definitely a start - a good one too! Soo adorable! Stopping by from SITS.

Hope you're having a beautiful weekend!

www.withlovesincerely.blogspot.com
www.barefootchicdesign.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I look forward to following yours.
Blessings,
Amy

Andrea said...

Yes, It's a start! Have a good week!

Unknown said...

It's more of a start than my kiddos could give! So cute.

Together We Save said...

Well yes.... they have to start some where. Wonderful that she even had an idea.

Desert Rose said...

Aww..that's cute!It's fun listening to the different ways that the kids interpret things!

Emmy said...

I love how he was borned :)

And yes it is a start.

tori said...

out of the mouths of babes...
love it!

He & Me + 3 said...

Too cute. It is funny what they pick up when they hear about history.

Dabalack Family said...

Love it!! Love them both so much and their brotherly, sisterly love!! :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Enjoy your day off!

sandy toe

Kasey said...

that's really funny. Kids are so funny! and don't they say the craziest stuff! I used to love that show Kids say the darnedest things. it was great!

Macey said...

Well, they really take it down to the lowest level, but they are starting to get it!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what they are telling the children about using the potty because this is the second place I read a similar story- the potty really sticks with the kids it is amazing! Following your blog glad I found you.

SurferWife said...

Kids are so funny. And so innocent that it's refreshing.

minor catastrophes said...

Oh my gosh, too cute!

shortmama said...

Yep that sounds like a kids take on it!

Masala Chica said...

Everything she said is technically true - now it's how she grows and learns from it over time and builds on what she does know.

I have a feeling she will have a lot of heart though and will be able to speak quite eloquently about Dr. King in a few years.

Helene said...

Oh thank goodness I read this post! I was starting to worry about my kids!

I was in the process of posting about it and wondering if I should because of some of the things they said. But they are kids, innocent enough and I guess they have to start somewhere, rigth?

jmt said...

Hopefully the hows and whys of that story are filled in with each year she gets that day off. :) And not just the hows and whys of what American Education textbooks want them to learn.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails