Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Funny and a Flashback

I know that every now and then I need to take a deep breath.  Aaaahhh.  I know it.  You know it.  Sometimes we just need a reminder.  Before I got mine, my day looked like this.

Check email, pack lunches and make breakfast before first meeting @ 7 AM
Back to back meetings until 11:45 AM
Eat a Hot Pocket & bag of chips @ 12:02 PM (what am I, 15?)
Take 1 PM call from car and drop off before it ends
Honor 1:45 commitment to work in The Athlete's classroom
Rush out of class @ 3 PM to make 3:30 PM Dr's appt
Rush out of Dr's appt for 4 PM basketball practice
Change in car to go from practice to E's 4:45 Jr High Basketball game

Yeah, WTF.  We're insane.  BUT, my kids crack me up.  For real.

The 3:30 PM Dr's appt was for the H1N1 vaccine for The Athlete and The Princess.  He was scheduled to have the mist and she was scheduled to have the shot because of her asthma.  I did a little research and had a quick conversation with the nurse and decided against having my son inhale a live virus.  I told her to sign him up for the shot.

He flipped.

Big.

I have seen this kid take a baseball to the face at 30 MPH and ask for a tissue to stop the bleeding so he can finish the inning.

Somehow shots send him over the edge.

He is terr-uh-fied.

He cried and clinged to my leg and begged the nurse to find the spray.  It was way too sad to be funny.

Until his sister said:

"Stop it, baby.  Mom won't let you go to basketball if you're crying."

Wha?

That was many hours ago and she made fun of him for five of those before bedtime.  At dinner with E's parents she used her most dead pan face, relaying to her Grandma;

"I did not . . . cry.  He did."

He tripped over the dog walking into the house. Her with the dead pan face.

"Are you going to cry again like for your shot?"

This girl cries when she can't get her shoes tied just right, but she's got NO issues with vaccinations.  None.  My poor, poor first born had to endure her torture.  And I had to laugh on the inside because she was cracking me up in a way that I needed so badly.  I always say that God gave her to me for a reason and today it was simply to make me smile.

Thanks, Princess.  You're good for my heart.

And a Flashback to a big, brave time for The Athlete.  He "lost" a tooth before the Tooth Fairy was ready thanks to an unfortunate incident in a Bounce House.  The tooth cracked through the root, but didn't come out.  His dentist had to remove it.  Surgically.  In three pieces.  He was 5.  He was brave.

Nice job, Big Man.  I hope tomorrow will be better for you. 


13 comments:

Tara said...

Oh my gosh that is funny! She really gave it to him. She could possibly even blackmail him with that...not that she should ;-)

Andrea said...

That's a great story! My older one is the baby too! I am trying to teach her to be brave!

Stopping in from SITS!

Unknown said...

soooooooo funny!!!! brothers and sisters ahhh the love!!!

Emmy said...

Okay that is pretty funny. And I could totally see my two doing the same thing. My son freaks out for shots, the dentist, well everything...
but my 3 year old just got a shot and all she said was "ouch".

So just a couple of more year and I can see the same scenario happening in our house.

Macey said...

Awww! What a little booger your lil girl is! So cute!

Tyne said...

I am glad your girl's got your back! Miss you and hope you are well- and breathing!

shortmama said...

My oldest is terrified of shots too. Next month she has to get a tooth pulled and they have to give her laughing gas first or she would freak out!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

All three of my boys see a shot and cry...but then again, so do I...
And may I say, what a busy day you had-hope your feet are propped up by now!

tori said...

some times an older sibling is the only way to bring something into prospective! love it!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm with the lil' dude. I hate shots too! Ah ha ha. And WOW are you one busy mama. I feel bad about being wiped out from one munchkin. : )

Unknown said...

Stopping from SITS! Really nice post. I think he has a sister like Arthus on PBS. She sounds like D.W. all the way.

Masala Chica said...

I love her. She is a woman after my own heart. Brother and sister friendships are also the best - that will be fun to watch over the years.
Kiran

jmt said...

Sibling "stuff" really is good blog fodder. I can't wait for OJ to grow out of the "I hit you" caveman ways and starts teasing TO. You make it sound like something to look forward to.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails