Saturday, March 22, 2008

Honey, I'm Home . . .



Holy Cow! An eight day business trip is a little more than this Mama can handle these days. I feel like I have been in Outer Mongolia for the last year, although I was only in New Orleans for a full week. And, BTW, one might prefer Outer Mongolia to Louisiana's favorite charity case! I was not doing business in the Ninth Ward, but that didn't prevent the overall lack of pride and sense of despair from creeping into our plans. I will pray hard that I don't have to go back anytime before I retire! I am no longer a fan of any kind of the Big Easy. Ooooooohhhhh . . . So, part of the "deal" with being a Meeting Planner at Prudential is planning and executing their Annual Sales Convention every single March. This year was my fifth and they never seem to get any easier. My philosophy in business, and life, is this - "unless you (I) have a better plan to get out of it, you might as well do it to your full capacity". I shared this with my team a few weeks ago before we left for this program. We had an uncommonly hard time planning this year's events and no one was much inspired to go out and give it their all. Unfortunately, five days before our flights were scheduled to leave, was not the time to decide it was too hard. Thus my pep talk, "if your new job doesn't start on Monday then it's too late for you. Suck it up, work hard and it will be over soon". I have never claimed to be a great leader, but it was a message from the heart. I had been telling myself the same damn thing for weeks. And it WAS hard and it IS over. I got to meet Bill Rancic (truly adorable, charming and talented), Mark Burnett and Dana Carvey. That was almost fun enough to make up for the rest, but not quite. I missed my family a lot and couldn't commit 100% like I have in the past. Is there a changing tide in my future? I don't know, but I won't have to worry about it until my next trip. So far, I've lived to tell about it and I still have a job.

Now, I have been home for three days and I still can't quite get the hang of it. I am truly exhausted! I have taken my babies to school at 7:15 AM for the last two mornings and went out last night with my handsome husband and all of his adult cousins. That was so fun, but I need some sleep!




My two special boys left bright and early this morning on a flight to Arizona for Spring Training and there went another early morning that I would have liked to stay in bed. Didn't happen, but maybe tomorrow. Pia and I are happily having a girl's day - shopping (of course), some light cleaning (her favorite, not mine) a lunch date and a movie theater in the family room. I have to dig out the nail polish shortly so we can get ready for our Sunday best tomorrow. Although she is terrified of the Easter Bunny, she is really looking forward to wearing her beautiful new dress to church and having lunch at her Grandma's house. She also gave me approval to have the Easter Bunny drop off her basket while she hides in her room. Smart girl! I am praying that she stayed up late last night while Ed and I were out and will drop off to sleep sometime around 7 PM. That would be a dream. The basket is stuffed and the Easter bunny will be all clear - hope I can stay awake longer than her. Sweet dreams, and Happy Easter.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails