Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Red Day

This week is Spirit Week at St. Edward’s and there has been a different theme for dress each day. Ed and I were traveling over the weekend and I forgot that he didn’t have to wear his uniform on Monday. I felt awful at drop off when he was the only boy in his class in his uniform. My friend Kellie calls that Mommy Guilt. Ah – it’s the WORST. So my remorse over that has lead me to be sure that we are absolutely covered for the rest of the week. Today is color day and each grade was assigned a different color. First grade is red and Max told me that he was supposed to wear everything red. OK. I have no reason to doubt him.

Max went to school this morning in red basketball shorts, a red t-shirt, long red socks left over from a long ago baseball team and a red bandana on his head. Seemingly ridiculous for any regular day but it’s RED DAY. You know where I’m going with this, right? Every one of his friends had on jeans and a red t-shirt this morning. I am so disappointed that I didn’t take a picture, but I asked Ed to snap one when he picks him up for baseball practice this afternoon. He looked like a gang leader - granted it would be a gang of tiny little white boys, but still.

The beautiful thing about Max, and perhaps the thing I love about him the most is that even though he was clearly not in line with what everyone else had done he was totally into what HE was doing. His buddy literally said “wow” when he walked into line and he just high fived them and did a smug little dance. He was completely unphased that he was so heavily decorated : ) I’ll keep my fingers crossed that E gets a photo I can share. I will personally play his image over and over in my mind today – I love that kid!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails