Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How Do You Give??

The sun was too warm for an October afternoon. The sidewalk was only a few blocks from the beach, but this gentleman hadn't been anywhere near water for quite some time. He was wearing too many clothes for the heat but I suspected that it might have been his only clothes and wearing them was easier than carrying them. He clearly needed help but I couldn't decide what to do.

Why is that so hard? Why has the world become so dark and intense that I am afraid to give? I am convinced that any dollar given will go straight to an awful habit that I'm not willing to support. But my children are watching me walk straight by. They see me wishing to help and turning a blind eye anyway.

The Athlete was picking up a snack before an afternoon appointment and our time was limited. I asked him to pick up two of everything he was getting. A bottle of water, a bag of chips and a chunk of cheese.

The gentleman had finished the bag of chips before we even had seat belts on. I was struggling with the next step and I heard him from the back seat

"thank you for buying food for that man, Mom. He probably doesn't have someone to love him like you love me."

My heart broke and burst with pride in the same moment. I fundamentally know that giving anything is better than giving nothing, but often I don't. That day I got it right but that doesn't always happen. If I gave to everyone what would be left? Who needs it the most?

My heart is always in the right place, but I just never know exactly how to follow through on it. I want my children to grow up understanding the importance of charity, but never overlooking the significance of giving from the heart. I want them to know how to give.

How do you give?

Time?

Only money to pre-designated organizations?

To every one that crosses your path and needs help?

I am a terrible cluster of all of them and wish I knew if there was one right answer.

I found this sweet quote today - food for thought.

We should give as we would receive, cheerfully, quickly, and without hesitation; for there is no grace in a benefit that sticks to the fingers. ~Seneca


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Love this...I always think about this and we do our best to give when we can. We donate clothes like it's going out of style. We give to causes for our friends. We have certain causes that are close to our hearts. We are vocal in this and will start to include the Crazies in this practice. It's important.

Growing up, we didn't have much...much money, much time, much drive to give to others. We were pretty busy surviving. I hope I can show the Crazies otherwise.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails