Monday, October 3, 2011

Greater Than One

The post that is rattling around in my head should really be three {or four} posts.  Big, well written posts.  There is nothing sparkly or fluffy about what's going on around here lately.

There's the passing of our precious old dog and how we're working through that.  The kids are doing better than E and me, but all of us are feeling it in different ways.  He was such a big part of our family.

We're also focused pretty heavily on a new canine companion for our sweet doggie girl who has never been alone a day in her life and was suddenly left without her friend. She is needy by nature and her loneliness is not helping.

A lot of soul searching happens with us {E and me} when we are making big decisions.  It is surely a  good thing that we don't take those things lightly, but on some levels it just makes everything more complex and cumbersome.  Making decisions based on ALL the facts and how we feel about every facet of it is a little outside of my expertise, but it certainly is enlightening and encouraging to be truly honest.  A dog is a big deal in our house.  As is where we think we'll be living six years from now and whether or not we're making sound decisions for our family.

Definitely more than one post.

At the heart of those matters, and the one that means more to us than anything, is setting positive examples for our children.  In handling grief, to making decisions that will impact us for much longer than it takes for the puppy to make them giggle and lick their faces all the way to treating everyone the way we want to be treated - they are taking their lead from us.  All day.  Every day.  It exhausts me and if I'm not always feeling like it's the privilege that it truly is I could be given to complaining.  And a perfect post popped into my inbox that is the loveliest reminder of the way it should be.

KC at Sanctified Pearl wrote about replacing complaints with thankfulness.  Her sentiment is so lovely and so timely.  I wanted to share her beautiful words with you and the scripture that she references.

“Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you.”
Philippians 2:14 – 15a

May you be blessed the way that I was with KC's wisdom and have a renewed sense of gratitude and enpowerment in your heart to share.

3 comments:

Emmy said...

I am so sorry. It is hard knowing how to deal with grief when you are the mom. But knowing you, I am sure you are handling it wondefully.

Kim said...

I am also sorry to hear about your dog. We have a 12 year old Lab and and I get weepy thinking about her not being with us. I hope you all work through it and find some comfort knowing hes in a better place.

Lourie said...

So sorry about your dog. They are like our family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails