Saturday, June 19, 2010

No more pencils. no more books . . .

The last day of school is upon us and it's bittersweet.  While it's a welcome reprieve from the tight scheduling around homework, baseball practice and squeezing in a bath every now and then; it's also a little sad for a Mama who is watching her kids grow up way too fast.  They have both finished a complete chapter in their life.  I am so proud and so sad at the same time.  The hours and days aren't long enough.  Ever.

A keepsake for my children in honor of their last day of school.

Dear Princess -

You finished the school year.  Your very first year in school, with one teacher AND the same uniform every day.  I am so proud of you my baby girl.  I know you saw me crying at your little celebration this week and I appreciate you letting me do it.  On days like those it's hard for me to contain my feelings for you. 

I am genuinely blown away that this is where we are right now.  Right at this time in June six years ago I was still fretting that you weren't going to be OK.  We'd been on bedrest together for 17 weeks already and you and I were barely hanging in there.  I had no idea how strong and fierce you were.  I would have worried less and enjoyed the lying around a little more.

This school year has proven what a force you are and makes me immensely proud for you.  You don't love to tell me what's going on; in fact your favorite word is "nothing", but Mrs. Nelson is super good at checking email and letting me know what's happening.  You may not know this, but I like her almost as much as you do.  She has been just right for you this year.  At your awards ceremony she named you "Future CEO" in honor of your keen smarts and your organizational skills.  She also said you were artistic, considerate and a great reader. 

Well, well little one.  Maybe I should take some comfort in the fact that you save the sassy and the stubborn all for me.  You just keep doing what you're doing and I will work out how to handle you + me.  I will listen to you read Big Egg a million times and keep you stocked in hair bows and sparkly shoes.  I am slowly learning that maybe that's the best I can do for now.

Happy Summer and almost Happy Birthday.  Every school year that ends will remind me of how that one June felt and I have a great feeling that every year will make that seem even more like a bad dream that never happened.   You are one in a million and I am so grateful God gave you to me.

All My Love,

Mom

Dear Athlete -

You leave me speechless almost all of the time.  I hurt when you hurt and I am overjoyed when you're happy. We don't need to speak about it mostly because it feels the same to both of us.  I know how sad you are that 2nd grade is over.  I am equally as sad.  But I also know you're just a little excited for all the good things that are coming up for you.  Me too.

This was your banner year, Punky.  Miss Brown is the teacher that you will remember for your whole life.  If you're extra lucky there may be one more, but she will always be the most special to you.  I am sure of it.  From sharing her favorite books with you to helping you firmly establish yourself in religious life she is the most positive role model you've ever had and she truly loves you.  That is a real gift.  But not everything great this year is because of her.  You worked very hard and have lots to be proud of.

Your last reading score shows you reading at a level of fourth grade, ninth month.  That's pretty big stuff for a kid that just finished second grade.  Your math scores are all above 90 % and you were accepted into the John Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth.  Oh, and the top notch basketball season, the awards from track and being on the first place team in baseball.  Right.On.Baby.

The sports and the grades and the honors are all really cool.  Really cool.  And your First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion were truly magical for our family. But my very favorite thing about you in your second grade year is what a good friend you are and your unlimited capacity to love.  I've always seen how much you love your family, but have really enjoyed watching you develop friendships that will take you through school.  I am so proud of what a genuinely good person you are.  Congratulations on a great year, big boy.

I love you like crazy,

Mama

4 comments:

Macey said...

Awww! Congratulations on the end of the school year and being so awesome! :)

Michelle said...

I had chills reading these. I am so excited for these days..but can definitely wait my turn :) You have the cutest little ones who seem to have a very bright future! I can't wait to watch them grow! :)

jmt said...

What sweet, sweet letters. I hope that my kids are as driven as yours are. I fret when they sit around the house, appearing so lazy...not wanting to do "learning" things.

Congrats on getting through the school year!

Emmy said...

Those letters were so so beautiful.
I espeically liked your letter to your daughter and the end of it.. gives me so much hope that I can figure out how to best get along with and work with my kids.

Time really does go so fast.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails