Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Adventures of Arthur

There are so many gimmicks attached the holidays and our family usually foregoes them. I try really hard to spend time talking with the kids about the joy of giving and the significance of the season being a time of preparation and waiting for the birth of Jesus. We certainly get caught up in Santa Claus and the festiveness that goes along with Christmas, but try not to go overboard.  There is one gimmick that got us and I am so glad.
My kids are seven and nine and have never had Elf on the Shelf. It seems like you need start this before your kids can even read and to do it for always. I missed the boat on it a long time ago and thought the opportunity had passed.  Then I saw the flux of ideas on Pinterest (of course) that show the Elf doing all kinds of wacky things and had to give in. The Athlete and The Princess are just on the cusp of being too big, but they have the best sense of wonder and enthusiasm that makes this perfect for them. We’re having such a good time this week with our new pal, Arthur and the added bonus of The Princess getting out of bed without being asked so she can search for Arthur is fan.tas.tic.  And hearing her say the word "hilarious" is pretty great, too.

I hope your days are merry and bright, too!


He came in for a crash landing and got stuck in the dining room chandelier


Using a holiday photo as a canvas to improve his art skills

He borrowed the dog’s reindeer ears for a dress up party with the Christmas bears



2 comments:

Dabalack Family said...

I am soooo glad your kids are loving this!! Just proves that it is never too late for anything!! I love it. We got one too and I thought the same thing with my kiddos, but they are IN LOVE and fight for who is going to find him first. Isabella said it perfectly... Mommy you just have to believe!!! Love you!!

jmt said...

I have a 7 year old who already seems to know too much. I don't get into the holiday gimmicks either, but I am thinking this might just be a good thing for our family. Love the crash landing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails